Container Tracking Addresses Supply Chain Challenges
Container tracking enables improved supply chain visibility, enhanced asset utilization, increased security and improved return on investment for container assets. Incorporating wireless GPS based container management into your enterprise information strategy delivers competitive advantage to container leasing companies, logistics service providers and virtually all the transport chain stakeholders – consigners, consignee, etc.
Without container tracking, stakeholders face tough challenges:
- Lack of timely and accurate container location information
- Poor container utilization
- Larger than necessary container inventories
- Unnecessary exposure to theft risk
- Loss of back office and driver productivity
- Challenges delivering expected customer service
- Degraded supply chain operational performance.
These escalating challenges have led to rapid adoption of container tracking solutions. Container tracking involves long battery life GPS trackers that provide on demand location information via wireless networks. Cloud based information management of your container inventory provides real time visibility to container assets and their status.
Further, container telematics (door and cargo sensors) can help stakeholders comply with regulations and meet the high demands on security, information visibility and transportation efficiency that comes with global supply chains.
Container Tracking Benefits
This simple solution has compelling benefits, including:
- Accurate and timely container location information
- Insights into container environmental history
- Improved container utilization
- More efficient yard and fleet operations, reducing labor costs
- Increased number of monthly loads carried by each container
- More timely and accurate information for improved client billing
- Fast recovery of stolen containers and their loads
- Reduction in theft associated costs
- More efficient inventory usage leading to lower capital costs
- Improved driver moral due to more efficient yard operations
- Improved customer service
The ROI from full inventory container tracking is often dramatic, minimally from greater asset utilization, but also due to the ability to respond to emergencies such as container and load theft, or delayed client cargo. Theft creates tremendously negative impact on customer service reputations. Not having capabilities to deal with these emergencies is simply an unnecessary liability. Container tracking is a compelling competitive differentiation that can and does help attract and retain new customers.
Adoption of wireless container tracking solutions helps improve profitability and competitive standing. Container tracking information systems enable superior asset utilization and streamlined business operations. Advances in container tracking via optimized, sensor equipped wireless GPS trackers, have made solutions affordable and simple to deploy and maintain. It’s hard to argue the impact, even harder to justify not having the capability.